Scoliosis is a slanted curvature of the spine it usually appears during the child’s growth spurt right before they start puberty. Chiropractic care is an excellent treatment for back pain caused by scoliosis pain.
The cause of roughly 80% of cases of scoliosis is unknown. There are three types of scoliosis one is structural in nature which is usually the result of an underlying medical condition a baby is born with such as cerebral palsy of these cases approximately three percent of youths have this type of scoliosis, while most cases are mild some are debilitating.
Children who have severe scoliosis with spinal disfigurements the spine all most always continues to get worse as they grow. Some severe cases of scoliosis also affect the lungs, because the curve is so bad it can decrease the amount of space in the chest cavity, which makes it challenging for the lungs do their job and to function properly.
Symptoms of Scoliosis Include the following:
- Uneven shoulders, hips, or waist
- A shoulder blade that looks more noticeable than the other
- One hip may be higher than the other one
- Back pain
- Appearance of body leaning
Causes of Scoliosis
With structural scoliosis, if the curve in the spine is caused by a disease, injury, or birth defect, and is permanent. Nonstructural scoliosis is temporary and can be fixed. Neurological - nerve defects that affect the muscles near in the spine
- Congenital – Present at birth, many times doctors are unaware of the scoliosis until the baby is born and then even it may take years for it to be discovered if it is mild
- Injuries or Infections – If the spine is injured in most cases it is severely injured. Infections of the spine can include one or more areas of the body the spine, spinal fluid, the vertebrate area, or can be the result of back surgery. Most of the time, the infection is bacterial or fungal in nature.
Cases of mild scoliosis is usually watched by the doctor, the child is likely to have x-rays yearly to make sure the curvature is not getting worse. Some children must wear a brace to prevent the spine from curving anymore. The worst cases of scoliosis may require surgery. Chiropractic care is also a great treatment for back pain in moderate and severe cases of scoliosis. At Back On Track our chiropractor in Birmingham, AL will design a scoliosis pain management.
How Chiropractic Care Can Help You Treat and Manage the Pain
At Back On Track Chiropractic & Wellness Center in Birmingham, AL, Dr. Duca and our teamwork with patients who are suffering from back pain caused by birth defects, injuries or infections as a result of scoliosis. Our team will create a scoliosis pain management and treatment plan. Call today to set up an appointment with our chiropractor in Birmingham, AL, for all your chiropractic care call us at 205-623-5782