If you have acid reflux, the condition can make daily activities challenging and cause digestive problems. At Back on Track Chiropractic & Wellness Center in Birmingham, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills, AL, we can speak with you about the condition and any symptoms that you are experiencing to develop a treatment plan to help with management. Before you visit us, learn more about acid reflux and how chiropractic care can help below:
What is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux, also known as Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), is a condition that causes an acidic reaction when you lie on your back. The reaction can be mild or severe and can worsen when you consume certain foods, especially those with high fats and acidic content.
Acid reflux happens when the valve separating the stomach and the upper body does not close well or opens after you eat. The valve lets out some digestion gas, which results in the burning sensation you feel after eating.
What Causes Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux can be caused by the following:
- Obesity: People who are overweight can suffer from acid reflux since the excess fat can add pressure on the stomach
- Poor diet: Excess fats or spicy foods may cause acid reflux
- Large meals: You may develop acid reflux when you consume a large meal and lie down immediately
- Medications: Muscle relaxants can largely contribute to acid reflux
Smoking and certain beverages like coffee and carbonated drinks may also increase the chances of acid reflux.
What are the Symptoms of Acid Reflux?
Some of the most common symptoms of acid reflux include the following:
- Vomiting blood
- Bad breath
- Chronic sore throat
- Esophageal blockage
- Difficulty swallowing
Chiropractic Care for Acid Reflux
Our chiropractor focuses on the alignment of the spine because the spine supports most of the bones and muscles within the body. If your spine is aligned properly, your body will operate without interference or restrictions.
If you suffer from acid reflux and visit our chiropractor, we will perform X-rays to determine the cause of the problem and help you manage the condition through a few practices, such as the following:
- Nutrition: Our chiropractor can guide you on the proper meals to consume, which will improve your digestion and gut health
- Spinal adjustments: These techniques can relieve muscles pressure in your stomach
- Weight management: When you eat healthier, you can eliminate the pressure on the abdomen and alleviate symptoms of acid reflux
- Lifestyle changes: General lifestyle changes, including exercise and eating smaller meals can reduce your symptoms
Contact us for Treatment Today
Chiropractic care can be highly effective for acid reflux. If you suffer from the condition, visit Back on Track & Wellness Center in Birmingham, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Homewood, and Vestavia Hills, for treatment. You can also contact us to schedule an appointment with our friendly team and to learn more about our treatment options.